In this tutorial, I will be presenting the installation of Ubuntu Server 12.04.5 LTS in pictures.
First, download the Ubuntu-desktop ".iso" file and burn it onto a CD.
example: from Ubuntu website: www.ubuntu.com, I went to downloads >> alternative downloads >> scroll down to see the "past releases and other flavours" section
After downloading your desired .iso file, burn it onto a CD or DVD. I used CDBurner XP. With your CD ready, boot your computer from CD-ROM and follow the prompt:
1) Welcome screen, click "install ubuntu server"
2) Language selection screen
3) Location: select your location
4) Keyboard configuration: select no for an automatic detection
5) Keyboard configuration
6) Keyboard configuration
7) Configure the network with a hostname(server name)
8) User and user-password setup-screens:
9) Home directory encryption: select No
10) Clock configuration based on your curent location
11) Disk partitioning: if you are a new Ubuntu user, select the first option: Guided partitioning to use the entire disk
12) I have about 18G in my partition
13) select Yes to write changes to disk
14) If you are not using a proxy to connect to the internet, disregard and continue
15) For now, I just want OpenSSH access to the server from my LAN, so I select the first option, and continue
16) install Grub boot loader, and continue: Yes
17) Hurray!!!!, installation is complete, Hit continue to reboot
18) Server has rebooted, into a GUI-less mode.
thats all folks!!!
NOTE: SSH login requires the same credentials as that of the user account. Until you create a password for root, you cant access the box as a remote root.